• Certification

    New York State teachers, speech-language pathologists, administrators, and pupil personnel service providers are required to hold a New York State certificate in order to be employed in the State’s public schools. The certificates are issued by the Office of Teaching Initiatives, and certify that an individual has met required degree, coursework, assessment, and experience requirements. Certificates are issued in a number of titles in three major categories: classroom teaching, administrative and supervisory, and pupil personnel service (e.g., school counselor, psychologist, social worker).


    For more information go online to: http://www.nysed.gov


    Licensure and Registration

    New York State Social Workers,  Physical Therapists, Registered Professional Nurses and Occupational Therapists are required to apply for a license in order to be authorized to practice and use a title in New York State. Your license is valid unless it is revoked, annulled, or suspended by the Board of Regents.

    To practice in New York under the authority of your license, you must reregister every three years (two years for medicine). You are automatically registered for your first registration period when your license is issued. Thereafter, the Office of the Professions will send renewal information to the name and address they have on file for you at least four months before your registration expires.

    More information is available through the NYS Education Department Office of the Professions

    Go online to: http://www.op.nysed.gov/